10.1.10

Up The Alley

Facing the darkness I stood
let the pain go out my
fingers onto the pavement
as a gray evening
slipped across my town.

Hours ago there had been
no one inside
and the yellow sun rode up
like Icarus without wax.

Downtown windows were
transient barriers dividing
my world from others
who drifted where the clock
dictated.

They were empty
colorless bottles adrift
on the moving
waves of the city
without messages
unheeding
unheard.

I waited
drawing breath by moments
exhaling only when I
remembered it was
best to breathe.

My eyes were steady.
Unwaivering monitors they took
in the scene around me
but gave nothing
of my motive away.

Now it was evening and work
was waiting to be done.
With a quick snap I turned
up the alley
tied on the white apron
and stepped inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For an unlimited time, you can Follow the Muse by simply clicking the button.